Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Altec Novice

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Eric23's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 27th, 2005
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello

    First post. Based in London, UK. Am looking to buy vintage Altec or JBL to go with my 300B amp. The only Altec model I know a little about is the Valencia, which is about the right size for my living space. Is this a good model to go for and is it available from anywhere. I am not too worried about shipping from the States, if need be.

    Also, I heard that the 604 driver was excellent. Are there any attainable Altec models that utilise this driver?

    As you can see, am a complete Altec novice!

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Eric23's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 27th, 2005
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I meant 4312's

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Ebay, and be carefull. Ask questions of the seller.
    And do yourself a favor and don't buy JBL. Altec is superior whan it comes to the home environment and low power tube amps.
    Ron

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Don't know of where you will find Altec stuff in the UK but welcome to the board Eric. I'm from one of the colonies: Canada. Here it's easy to find stuff. Hopefully someone from your side of the pond will respond.

    Long live Altec.

    Cal

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Eric23's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 27th, 2005
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello Cal

    There are dealers in the UK who sell vintage gear including Altecs. But I'm also interested in what might be available across the pond. The favourable exchange rate should make up for the high cost of shipping.

    The only vintage speakers I've ever owned were a pair of JBL 4212's, which I bought back in 98 when they were BRIEFLY reissued in this country. Although they were a massive bargain at ?1000, I never really got to grips with their slightly boxy midrange, although bass quality (12" white aquaplas)was magic. Shame I never tried them with a good 300B amp rather than the big transistor one I was then using. It might have opened up the mid. Still, we all make mistakes. Selling them was my big one.

    Looking now towards Altec or JBL again. Anything from low 90's db upwards.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have both a pair of Model 19's and a pair of Urei 811A's (loaded with 604-8K's). Since soffit mounting isn't a good option for me I use a powered sub with the Urei's as per BobR's suggestion (Thanks again, BobR!). I would be hard pressed to choose between the two so I just settle for both. forums I think a really interesting project would be a pair of Time Aligned(TM) Model 19's. forums

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member joyspring's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2002
    Posts
    275
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Post

    Eric:

    If you didn't like the peaky midrange of your JBL 4312s, then do NOT consider a stock Altec 604 + crossover; the JBL 4310 (the precursor of the 4311/4312, which are voiced similarly) was _designed_ to mimic the midrange response of the Altec 604 (from Don McR's site):

    JBL pro history - 1960's

    I've mixed on JBL 4311s and can state that they do indeed sound like Altec 604s.

    This frequency response curve (604E) from an Altec studio monitor catalogue exhibits the irregular midrange response and limited LF/HF bandwidth:

    Altec 1971 monitors catalogue (page 2) featuring 604E response curve

    If you must have Altec Duplexes, the first- and second-series UREI Time-Aligned control room monitors utilising the Altec 604-8G and 604-8K respectively offered flat frequency response, and appreciably extended the HF as well. Extended LF response was traded off for better damping as this range was intended for soffit-mounting (though using an external sub suffices for free-standing use).

    Perhaps the Altec Model 19 would be a more optimum Altec choice as it offers flat response with extended HF as well -- it offers a much more highly refined crossover over earlier Altec systems. It is also highly efficient.

    In spite of the high sensitivity, you may want to have a closer look at your power requirements, even if you intend to listen at low sound pressure levels. Consider that modern 24-bit recording now handily covers the range from an extremely low noise floor to the threshold of pain, capturing +28 dB peak-to-average is attainable (compared to the limited signal-to-noise of analogue recording).

    That's a nearly three magnitudes-of-order (1000x) difference in electrical power between average and peak levels.

    Certainly the logic of low-power SET amps deserves greater scrutiny - despite high-sensitivity loudspeakers - with modern digital media.

    BobR

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Eric23's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 27th, 2005
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello

    Hope everyone's enjoying their Easter break. Here in London, we've had 4 days off. Been a great opportunity to REALLY relax for a change.

    Ron, thanks for your advice about ebay. Actually, if I do ever buy speakers from abroad I'd prefer to do it by direct contact and not via ebay. Also, sorry to mention JBL on this forum. I just thought my experience of them might prove helpful to anyone who might recommend an appropriate Altec model for me.

    Bob, thank you so so much for the info. The page on JBLs onslaught into the professional market is fascinating. So, the LE5 driver had a midrange output to match the 604's peaked response. NOW I know!!

    Well, having found the LE5 mid a little too coloured for my tastes (a degree of nasality especially noticeable on horned instruments), perhaps it would be best to stay clear of the 604 if it has a similar response. Having said that, if I HAD tried the 4312's with a 300B amp, perhaps I would have perceived less of that colouration subjectively. Also, have heard that changing the stuffing material behind the mid driver might have changed the sound a bit, too.

    Incidentally, on the JBL (Harman) Japan website you can see bang up to date versions of the 4312 with revised drivers, sometimes horn-loaded like the K2?s. For example, there's the 4318, which is still a 3-way in an identically-sized cabinet to the 4312. But the drivers are now mounted in vertically. The mid diver is described as a 105H. Perhaps it's less peaky than the old LE5? Shame these monitors are only available in Japan and not in Europe or the USA, IMO!!

    Bob and Altec fan, the model 19 might be better for me, then? Do you have any more info on it? Is it easy to find the 19 for sale and are there vintage dealers in the states who could help?

    Regarding power requirements. Have been advised to go for something like a parallel s/ended amp in the 18 watts region. I'm not looking to play loud. In fact, clarity and dynamic range at low to medium volume levels would be of more benefit, as would the ?immediacy? one associates with efficient speakers. Music I listen to is very varied but does include a lot of Jazz (e.g old BlueNote stuff) and Reggae. I already own a sub and super tweeter, by the way, if that helps.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Eric23's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 27th, 2005
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ....also what's your take on the Valencia? Is it a good altec? Thanks.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Eric23's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 27th, 2005
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    and have just noticed, there's loads of posts and info on the model 19 already

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.